Wednesday, November 18, 2009

You wanted the best! You got the best! KISS!!

When I was 15, in 1983, I saw my first concert. KISS, on their Lick It Up tour with Queensryche at Memorial Coliseum in Portland, Ore. I made the 4 hour train ride from Pendleton to Portland alone to meet up with a friend and his older brother, who had a car. The concert, and the weekend really, was a whirlwind of hammering-loud rock music, explosions, and vividly colorful imagery. It changed me as a fan, graduated me to that next level, I could now say that I had experienced KISS in person. And I still have the $20 t-shirt to prove it! (last night they were $50) I think it also influenced how I was starting to see the world differently; a little bigger, louder, and more exciting than what I'd been used to. In a small, yet profound way, I think seeing KISS back then had a hand in shaping me into the creative I am today. I thought about that quite a bit as I was standing in front of the stage last night waiting for the curtain to go down. It was an odd feeling. We'd all been there together before, just under a slightly different dynamic. Now it was time to get to work, to entertain fans with good music and pretty pictures. I think we all did a fine job.















1 comment:

  1. These photos are fantastic. I was pretty close to the stage on Tommy's side (section 110) and saw you guys working. I thought the show was excellent, and I have seen KISS a ton of times. I posted a review on my blog, at http://bit.ly/3oYfLE. My photos are horrible but you'll get the idea. I will post a link to your photos if you don't mind.

    ReplyDelete